It's getting closer to that time of year again. OK, I know a lot of you will be thinking "What? It's only September..." but I like to plan ahead to make Christmas a bit more financially easier for myself. Here are some of my tips for having a great Christmas day with less stress on the wallet!
- Start early. I get things like wrap, tags, cards & decorations in the summer months when they're all reduced to clear
- Handmade. Last year we made gifts and tree decorations with our kids. There are lots of fun and easy tutorials on the internet!
- Second hand. Ebay and charity shops often have some great finds
- Pound shops. I get a lot of the smaller presents and stocking filler gifts from pound shops. Also great for Christmas mugs, and Christmas cards
- Sales. Check out online sales throughout the year. I managed to get a new 6ft tree that was marked down to half price, bargain!
- Price check. Decide what you want to buy and check in a few shops, sometimes you can get it for cheaper when you look around
- Stick to a budget and shopping list. Don't stray from the list and end up spending way more than you intended (I am guilty of this!)
- Spread the cost. Buy gifts here and there over the months, rather than try to get everything in one months pay
- Don't worry. Remember that it's not all about presents, or how much you can or can't spend. Spending time with loved ones is the best present
Thanks for reading, and I hope this little guide helps someone as much as it helps me every year!