Monday, 29 January 2018

Taran's birth story

If you follow me on any of my social media or my YouTube channel, you will have seen that I had my baby! He was born at 38 weeks, on the 16th December - two weeks early just like Dylan and Evie were. It was so perfect having him safely here a week before Christmas.

I had been in a stop and start labour for a week before actually giving birth. I was in established labour and got to 5 cms dilated. However my waters hadn't broken, and after a day in the birth centre the contractions completely slowed down, so I was sent home to wait for things to start up again properly. I was then just getting contractions for a few hours a day, and stopping again. As I said it went on for a week and was exhausting and painful!

The next week I stepped out of the shower one afternoon and my waters started trickling, luckily on to the towel I had on the floor. Me and the kids went to my mums house to wait for my husband to meet us as he was out at work. Once my husband met me we drove over to the birth centre, luckily it was only a 5 minute drive and not too much traffic as my contractions by this point were really strong and close together.

The birth centre itself was just wonderful. Really calm and relaxed environment. There were four birth rooms, each room has a big birth pool, double bed, en suite bathroom with shower, birthing ball, sofa, and cd player. The lighting was adjustable and there was adjustable heating which I was very glad about as I found it a bit too hot at some points.

Once we arrived there, I used the birthing ball for a while whilst just chatting in between contractions. However it didn't take long for the contractions to become really full on so I got in the pool and used gas and air. The warm water really helped with the pain, especially in my back. Combined with the gas and air, the contractions were painful but manageable for me. Within just a few hours Taran was born! He was 7lb 1oz which makes him my smallest baby, he looked so tiny! We stayed over night, and as the beds are double, partners are welcome to stay. I was also very happy to see that they offered vegan food there so that meant I could eat a proper meal after going through giving birth. The midwives were all amazing and so friendly and calming. Even the midwives who saw me the week before with my stop/start labour came in to see us when they got on shift.

The next day we took Taran home and he met Dylan and Evie. It was extra nice as it was the first day of the Christmas school holidays so we had two weeks for the kids to spend time getting to know their new brother. We had a wonderful Christmas at home, with me no longer full of worry of the idea of going into labour on Christmas! It was nice to be able to relax a bit and enjoy things. Although I use the term relax loosely, how much can you really relax with a newborn and a house of excited kids for Christmas!

Now Taran is 6 weeks old and I just can't believe how fast everything is going!


No comments:

Post a Comment